[stratum-dev] Is there a limit on the # of ECMP groups stratum_bmv2 can handle?

A Sydney asydney007 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 20:46:51 UTC 2021

Hi Stratum folks,

# Context:
I have created a pipeline that enables IPv4-ECMP (P4 snippet shown in
attached file action_selector*) and I am able to build and push p4info.txt
and bmv2.json to the switches.

# Issue:
When I attempt to add groups, the first one moves to the "ADDED" state.
When I attempt to add a second, the first group and the second both move to
the "PENDING_ADD_RETRY" state.

# ONOS logs:
At the same time, P4RuntimeClientImpl throws the error "Error while
performing READ on device:spine2...Unexpected error in RPC handling". Then
ONOS spirals into this cycle of attempting to reinstall all flows on the
switch (See debug.log for details.).

# Logs on one of the bmv2 switches:
I then see the following error on the switch:
[libprotobuf FATAL
external/com_google_protobuf/src/google/protobuf/repeated_field.h:1694]
CHECK failed: (index) < (current_size_):

# Question:
Have you ever come across this one?  Are there any obvious mistakes that
I'm running into (Perhaps my P4 ECMP definition attached is incorrect?)?
Any suggestions on how to debug further?

Thanks!
-Syd